If the teacher taught,Why didn't the preacher praught?



Friday, November 11, 2011

Mr.P's Challenge 10

126. Are we alone? (Tufts)
We are not alone. Everywhere I look around I see people. There is no place left on earth where you can be truly alone. There are 7 billion people on this planet. How can one possibly be alone? I live in India, there is no way anyone can be alone here. There are people everywhere. They are in the malls, on the roads, in the park, in restaurants, in parking lots, in neighborhoods, and in houses. In a practical way we cannot possibly be alone.
The question “Are we alone?” is contradicting itself. How can “we” be “alone”? It is not possible. It is different if you feel alone though. Sometimes we feel left out and all by ourselves, and we feel alone. That is perfectly true. But even that doesn’t work because I am absolutely positive that someone else is going through the same emotion you are right now. You are not the only one feeling either, happy, surprised, shocked, humiliated, frightened, sad, guilty, frustrated, confused, or angry right now. Someone from the 7 billion people will be going through the same thing you are.
This question is a little depressing too. No one wants to be alone, and they can’t even if they wanted to. Humans are constantly trying to find some sort of security to their lives, and they realized that they always need someone to help them establish that security in their lives. Ever since history of mankind began, Humans have never been alone. We cannot survive if we are alone. We are like love birds. A love bird cannot survive without his or her partner. They die. It is the same with us; we cannot survive if we don’t have people to help us. Human therefore don’t want to be alone. I always need people to help me out. I can definitely not survive alone.
I once read a very interesting quote in a toilet at my dorm; “Smile, and we are with you, fart and you stand alone.” I laughed so loud when I read this that the other people using the other toilets started asking me if I was okay. Although this quote is funny, it can’t be true, because at that minute at least one other person out of the 7 billion must have farted too.